Friday 8 November 2013

My Life- David Jason

 
David Jason is one of those actors that it feel like you know.  He has seeped into our consciousness through decades of portraying memorable characters and always comes across as an affable, charming man in interviews.  I was really looking forward to finding out more about him through his long awaited autobiography My Life.

The title is not a misnomer, this truly is a book about David's life from his childhood in London in and immediately after the second world war to becoming a household name.  I loved the stories about his family, particularly his mother (her explanation of the noises in wartime as 'just God moving his furniture around' made an impression on me) and the bygone age transmitted in these tales alongside his dry humour and jovial story-telling made this an interesting read.  Autobiographies can sometimes spend a long time talking about life 'pre-fame' without really giving any insight, but I felt this book grabbed my attention.  I could visualise London in this era, imagining David and his friends up to their escapades.

The story of his 'rise to fame' is also interesting.  Although he was thrust into the spotlight (reluctantly) in the school production, David showed dedication to a theatre group and pursued a career as an electrician before he got his big break. 

For those who admire his acting (both on the boards and the screen), which let's face it, most of us do, there are lots of amusing stories from his career, especially the ones concerning Ronnie Barker.  I admit there were a couple of points where I had a tear in my eye.

Overall, My Life offers a good insight into David Jason's life and history, would make a lovely Christmas present for fans.

My Life is out now.

8/10

With thanks to the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in return for an honest review.

2 comments:

  1. I think this would be a great read, thanks for reviewing.

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reviewing, I imagine that unlike many "celebs", he has actually had an interesting life to write about! Would definitely like to read this one.

    ReplyDelete