Monday, 23 November 2015

Della says OMG! - Keris Stainton

The Blurb

Della's over the moon when she kisses her long-standing crush at a party - but then she discovers her diary has disappeared...

When scans of embarrassing pages are sent to her mobile and appear on Facebook, Della's distraught - how can she enjoy her first proper romance when someone, somewhere, knows all her deepest, darkest secrets?

The Review

I'm a bit late to the Keris Stainton love-in, but I'm making up for a slow start by binge-reading all her books now! 

Della says OMG! was Keris' debut novel and was first released in 2010, and that does show in some of the pop culture references (although as a McFly fan, I don't know how ANYONE could think having It's All About You as a ringtone would be embarrassing!).  I loved the plot - as a diarist during my teen years I'd have been mortified at the thought of someone taking my diary - and with the continual rise in the use of (and bullying over) social media, the themes are powerful and believable. 

Della's relationship with her friend Maddy and love-interest Dan were the highlights of this book for me, and Stainton conveys the intense emotions of teen relationships perfectly and the sexual energy as Della and Dan's relationship progresses was both highly charged and realistic for the target audience. 

I devoured this book and although I preferred Keris Stainton's latest YA release Counting Stars, Della says OMG! is a young adult novel with plenty of oomph.  It's got romance, mystery and a wonderful cast of characters (Della's parents - fabulous!) and I can see why this book is still gaining new readers almost six years after first hitting the shelves.

I'd love to know what happened next for these characters, especially the likeable Della!

Della says OMG! is out now, published by Orchard Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment