Thursday 19 December 2013

The First Christmas Without You- Michelle Betham



Jessie Collins is going to Lapland.  It's somewhere she's always wanted to go, particularly at Christmas.  But her trip isn't going to be how she'd imagined it.  Her beloved husband Jase passed away and Jessie will be making the trip with her brother and his friends.  Can the magic of Lapland help her face her loss, allowing her to move forward with her own life?

The First Christmas Without You is not an out-and-out Christmas romance as it also tackles bereavement and loss.  It did take me a while to become fully immersed in the story, but once I did I really wanted happiness and peace for Jessie.  One thing I especially liked about this book is that at 42 the protagonist is a bit older than in many romances, which will perhaps add appeal for a slightly older readership.

The setting was absolutely perfect, dreamlike imagery of Lapland and the snow-covered landscape added to the romantic feel of the book. 

Tender and poignant, if you are looking for a book that will touch your heart this Christmas, you may just have found it. 

The First Christmas Without You is out now, published by Harper Impulse.

7.5/10

With thanks to the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in return for an honest review. Find out more by clicking the banner below. Visit

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for that review. :) And I'm so glad you liked the setting of the book, because, having been to Lapland myself, I really hoped I'd managed to get across what a beautiful place it is at Christmas. It really CAN be quite a magical place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book and the way the characters and scenes are so well described you can imagine being there. It's classic Michelle Betham and I never tire of reading her books,.....she can't write quick enough!! lol Anyway I think I'm going to give up on Stephen King and escape to Lapland....who's coming with me?!!

    ReplyDelete