Wednesday 11 June 2014

Being Binky- Binky Felstead


I make no bones about the fact that I love a bit of reality TV, and Made in Chelsea is possibly my favourite of all of the reality series I watch.  I like the glamour, the bitching, the fashion-plus as a bit of a London fanatic too there are regular glimpses of notable landmarks and quirky bars and cafes.  It is a far cry from life in South Yorkshire working as a dinner lady.

Binky has always been my favourite female cast member.  She seems a bit more down to earth than some of the other girls and is one of those irritating people who always appears effortlessly gorgeous.  I have a bit of a crush on her.  And I want her hair.  So when I saw she had a book out I was full of excitement.

Unfortunately, I wasn't blown away by Being Binky.  I was interested in her childhood, her experience of being bullied at school and how she came to be part of Made in Chelsea, but felt there was little in the way of juicy gossip or meaty revelations.  The book mostly covers her time up to starting on Made in Chelsea, whereas it would probably work better if it was based more around the relationships between cast members, her honest opinions on key moments in the series and how her life has changed.

There are lists of 'top tips' for things like 'how to apply fake tan' and 'how to date a Chelsea boy' which are really not relevant to me.  This is definitely aimed at the younger market, I would say 16-18s.  The pictures of Binky growing up will give any girl hope- puberty served her well- and I was amazed at how her Mum hasn't aged at all!

Overall, I was disappointed.  I love Binky and thought there was so much potential, but this book fell a bit flat for me.  It would have been better being marketed as a teen book, as a quick look on Amazon shows that other older fans of the show have had similar thoughts to me.  I can imagine younger readers will enjoy it as an easy read and find the lists fun, but for me it could have been so much more.

Being Binky is out now, published by Simon and Schuster.

With thanks to the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment