Saturday 31 August 2013

The Show Must Go On!-Kate Klise and M. Sarah Klise

From being a child I have had a slight obsession with anything to do with the circus.  I love the magic, the excitement, the idea of travelling communities entertaining strangers in unfamiliar towns night after night.

When I heard about The Show Must Go On! by Kate Klise and M. Sarah Klise I knew that it would be right up my street. 

The story begins with circus owner Sir Sidney feeling exhausted.  His successful circus has been a hit with the public for so long that he needs a week to rest.  He looks for someone to run the circus and in amongst the unsuitable applicants he finds Barnabus Brambles 'certified lion tamer'.  However, Barnabus is actually a bossy, greedy slavedriver who doesn't care a jot for the animals and performers in the circus.

Follow this haphazard tale and see what happens in the week that Barnabus Brambles runs the circus and how Sir Sidney will react upon his return.

I enjoyed this story, a chapter book for newly confident readers with plenty of illustrations to compliment the text.  I loved the characters of Gert and Bert, the seamstress mice who create their own words (my personal favourite is 'dramastic'- the result of mixing 'dramatic' and 'drastic').  Overall The Show Must Go On! is an entertaining read with madcap capers and a moral message.

The Show Must Go On! is released on September 10th, published by Algonquin Books.

8/10

With thanks to Algonquin Books for providing me with a review copy of this book in return for an honest review.

2 comments: